What is Invisalign clear aligner?
Invisalign is also known as Invisalign aligners, Invisalign braces, Invisible braces, clear braces and clear aligners. Invisalign is a nearly ‘invisible’ polymeric medical device fitted over the dentition. Invisalign is made of SmartTrack material, removable appliances that move your teeth in small increments.
What are the benefits of the orthodontics Invisalign aligners?
- Invisalign is metal-free and offers an invisible alternative to conventional braces. Most people won’t realise you are in treatment. That is why it is also known as invisible braces or clear aligners.
- Aligners are easy to wear and remove and allow normal brushing and flossing tasks generally impaired by conventional braces.
- As opposed to conventional braces, wearing Invisalign aligners does not interfere with optimal oral hygiene activities during treatment.
- They Protect the teeth and have no sharp edges to cause damage to the tongue and cheeks.
- Invisalign is a specific newly innovated clear aligner and invisible braces that apply the most continuous controlled light forces, which optimise the treatment outcome and minimise the exertion of undue excessive forces on the root supporting tissue and the risk for root resorption.
- In the past, some orthodontic treatment complexities have been reported not to be amenable to aligners, e.g. arches with multiple missing teeth, severely rotated teeth and teeth with short clinical crowns. Therefore, not every patient was deemed a good candidate for this treatment modality. However, with the advent of Temporary Anchorage Devices (TADs), other ancillary attachment elements and new polymers incorporated into the aligners, the indication for this type of treatment has been expanded.
- Although the closure of extraction spaces could cause excessive tipping of the adjacent teeth, the advent of G7, G8 technology (SmartTrack) and combined Smart Rotation attachments can lead to successful parallel bodily-movement tooth movement. Overall, the technology behind the new clear aligners and Invisalign is progressing vastly to provide more comprehensive options for treating malocclusions with more complexities performed by competent operators.
- Invisalign product combines your doctor’s diagnosis and prescription with sophisticated computer graphics technology to develop a treatment plan that specifies your teeth’ desired movements during your treatment. Upon approval of a treatment plan developed by your doctor, a series of customised Invisalign aligners are produced specifically for your treatment.
- Overall, the clear aligners could be comparably as effective as fixed appliances in correcting mal-aligned teeth when prescribed by a competent clinician.
- The Invisalign can give you a more confident smile during the early stages of wearing the aligners without interfering with your daily activities. At the same time, your colleagues and friends may hardly notice that you are straightening your teeth.
Invisalign treatment procedure
First, you must consult with a trained and certified Invisalign doctor. They could schedule your initial consultation to determine whether your teeth could successfully be straightened using Invisalign.
If so, your doctor will provide the Invisalign centre with radiographs, photographs, and models of your teeth, which will be used to create a digitally made 3-D animation for the virtual presentation of your teeth’ exact movement in sequential stages.
Once the initial movement and planning approach is considered to grant the best possible orthodontic treatment outcome, you will be informed more about the complexity, extent, duration, and eventual cost of your entire treatment course.
Your doctor will take impressions or intra-oral scans of your teeth and send them along with a prescription to the Align laboratory. Align technicians will follow your doctor’s prescription to create a model of your prescribed treatment. Upon approval of your doctor’s ClinCheck treatment plan Align will produce and ship a series of customised aligners to your doctor. The total number of aligners will vary depending on the complexity of your malocclusion and the doctor’s treatment plan. The aligners will be individually numbered and dispensed to you by your doctor with specific instructions for use.
These aligners would gradually, gently and efficiently straighten your misaligned teeth toward the appropriate position to give you a better bite, healthier gum and the most beautiful smile you have ever wished for.
Treatment plans and progress can be visualised and follow-up through the ClinCheck software.
Treatment time varies from case to case and could last 3 to 36 months, depending on the complexity and severity of the mal-alignment.
Are there any risks or concerns about using Invisalign clear aligners?
Clear aligners are becoming increasingly popular as orthodontic appliances. However, you should also be aware that any orthodontic treatment, including Invisalign, clear aligners or invisible braces has limitations and potential risks that should consider before undergoing treatment. An orthodontist should be involved to assess and discuss the treatment options with each patient to achieve successful orthodontic treatment.
FAQ – What do patients usually ask about composite bonding?
Case planning is the Phase I. of the treatment and consists of:
- Orthodontic assessment.
- Full-mouth oral health examination.
- Cosmetic & functional aspects of existing dentition.
- Orthodontic assessment and treatment options.
- Orthodontic indications/contradiction, cons. /pros.
- Introduction to Invisalign biomechanics.
Treatment duration varies depending on the complexity of your doctor’s prescription. Then, as directed by your doctor, you will switch to the next aligner in the series every 10 to 14 days. Some patients may require bonded aesthetic attachments and/or the use of elastics during treatment to facilitate specific orthodontic movements. In addition, patients may require additional impressions or intra-oral scans and/or refinement aligners after the initial series of aligners.
Invisalign and Clear aligners must be worn all the time except for when eating.
As recommended by the manufacturers, the appliances should be worn for a minimum of 22 hours per day to be most efficacious. Therefore, the success of aligner treatment is very reliant on the patients’ motivation and discipline.
Invisalign Case Studies
See our Invisalign before and after photos from our happy patients.
Before and After Treatment
Correct the proclined anterior upper teeth, excessive overjet and the canine-molar relationship on the right side.
Before and After Treatment
Severe Maxillary and mandibular posterior arch-length loss with misalignment of upper teeth.