We live in a fast-paced world where we demand faster and more predictable treatment outcome.
Dentist in London Specialists Dentists implement Accelerated Orthodontics to provide you with the beautiful and harmonic smile within half of the treatment time required for traditional braces. With Accelerated Orthodontics, aesthetically pleasing ceramic braces and clear aligners such as Invisalign, can be worn in patients who prefer efficient results with non-metal braces.
What is Accelerated Orthodontics?
The slow and continual application of mild orthodontic forces initiates and maintains biological processes resulting in a prolonged tooth movement type. Traditional orthodontics applied for the past 100 years requires longer treatment time due to the limitations of the bone remodelling activity.
Accelerated Orthodontics is a well-proven revolutionary adjunctive treatment approach culminated by clinical research over the last two decades to s prevail the clinical safety and predict faster orthodontic tooth movement by approximately two times.
What are the benefits of accelerated orthodontics?
The benefits are that if the orthodontic treatment is shorter, the problems that arise with long term braces such as tooth decay or gum problems are reduced.
With accelerated orthodontics, the patient sees the change quickly. This allows the patient to see the benefits of the treatment more quickly. It also helps the dental team and the patient decide on the ideal mouth disciplinary treatment plan.
Additional benefits of Accelerated Orthodontics due to the activated and augmented bone can be:
- an increased bone volume which can improve facial aesthetics in some cases
- increased tooth and post-orthodontic stability
- fewer extractions required for orthodontics
- repair of the existing tooth-supporting bony and/or soft tissue defects
How long is the treatment going to take?
Accelerated Orthodontics facilitates tooth-movement into the desired position in just 4 to 10 months versus the 1 to 3 years of treatment time required conventional orthodontic. This offers the patients a clear advantage in reducing their normally-accepted orthodontic treatment period, and the orthodontists increased patient compliance and case completion.
The fast track patients undergoing accelerated orthodontics would complete their treatment less than patients having conventional orthodontics.
Is accelerated orthodontic a suitable treatment for all patient categories?
This technique is ideal for most adolescents, young adults, adults, and adults wearing fixed braces and removable clear aligners, e.g. Invisalign, provided there is no contra-indication to surgery, e.g. bone disease, ankylosed teeth, patient non-compliance, and heavy smoking.
There is a good body of evidence-based research to support that accelerated orthodontics cause no adverse biological effects on the periodontium. It is a predictable surgical procedure as long as all the postoperative instructions and care are followed correctly.
After consultation with Nico Kamosi and his team at London Specialists Dentists, you will be provided with adequate information on different accelerated orthodontic treatments.
How long the procedure would take, and what would be the postoperative pain or discomfort?
The procedure is painless and takes between 45min -1 hours, depending on how many teeth need to be treated. There might be mild soreness for one or two days after the surgery, while the recovery is generally very rapid.
London Specialists Dentists would perform the following procedures during the course of treatment
- Assessment by the Orthodontist and preparation of an Orthodontic Treatment Plan.
- Evaluation by a periodontistin preparation for the surgical phase, including any Radiographs and CBCT Scans.
- Placement of Braces or Aligners by Orthodontist at London Specialists Dentists
- Two weeks later Piezocision carried out by Periodontist at London Specialists Dentists
- Two weeks later, further review and possible adjustment of Orthodontic appliance by the Orthodontist
- 2 weeks later healing review by Periodontist
Photo 1. Illustrates small incision through the gum
Photo 2. Micro-incision made in bone with Piezo
- If you have always been concerned about crooked teeth causing aesthetic disturbances or biting and chewing discomfort.
- If you didn’t like the idea of wearing braces for many years, accelerated orthodontics could be a promising treatment option for you.
- If you are interested in having an accelerated orthodontic treatment, make an appointment with a specialist.