It’s very tempting to see how much dentistry has evolved in the nick of time. However, though conventional dentistry attended only to the problems related to oro-facial structures, modern dentistry doesn’t overlook the patient’s general health for a second. Thus, holistic dentistry ensures that you have a healthy mouth and that you are fit as a person.
Holistic dentistry is a form of modern dentistry known as natural, biological, biocompatible, alternative dentistry.
How is holistic dentistry different from conventional dentistry?
Holistic dentistry focuses on how oral health affects the general physical and psychological well-being and vice versa.
General dental practitioners investigate, diagnose, and treat the head and neck region conditions, including teeth, gums, jaws, and jaw joints.
However, general dental surgeons who utilise holistic techniques to treat patients are known as holistic dentists. This is because they always consider the big picture, contact the patient’s other healthcare providers, do necessary investigations, diagnose all related pathologies, and devise a patient-tailored treatment plan.
While conventional dentistry always relies on scientifically proven treatments like brushing improvement, fillings, prosthetic replacements, etc., holistic dentistry has broadened the horizons opening other treatment modalities like,
- Nutrition therapy
Here are some controversial but actual practices in holistic dentistry
- No root canal treatment; Holistic dentistry believes root canal treatment is dangerous for general health. However, we exclusively use Bio-ceramic root canal sealers and prevail tooth preservation using the latest technology.
- Only bio-compatible materials. They only use natural materials that don’t harm your body. Then, before application, they do a bio-compatible test to check whether it is safe.
- Natural remedies only
- Clove oil for toothache instead of chemical painkillers
- Composite bonding and white fillings rather than Amalgam fillings that contain toxic mercury
- Herbal mouthwash instead of chlorhexidine for gum disease
- Herbal toothpaste instead of chemical mouthwashes for daily dental care
- Propolis produced by bees to fight infections in place of loads of antibiotics
- No Amalgam
Regardless of the strength and durability, holistic dentists refuse to use Amalgam as it contains mercury which is believed to cause toxic effects on the human body. Instead, they always recommend replacing amalgam fillings with composite fillings.
Why topical Fluoride?
General dental practitioners always advise using fluoridated toothpaste and water to aid in the prevention of dental caries. Yet, only a few holistic dentists practice fluoride therapy and discuss regular fluoride intake.
What are the advantages of Holistic Dentistry?
Since there are few known and researched facts about Holistic dentistry, the safety, efficiency, and long-term effects still need to be fully known. However, holistic dentistry has gained much fame as,
- It uses natural materials
- Takes overall health into account
- You can choose mercury and fluoride-free therapy
- It has alternative treatment modalities
What are the disadvantages of Holistic Dentistry?
- The fluoride-free approach might not be suitable for people with a history of dental decay or caries as it may increase the risk of future decline.
- It may be unsafe to use other chemical drugs as the herbal remedies might interact with certain prescribed medications.
- As holistic dentists don’t support root canal treatment, they might recommend you remove the tooth. So, it’s better to choose traditional dentistry in the case of a dental emergency to save the tooth when possible.